In 2021, the Soka Gakkai Charter updated and replaced the SGI Charter to further articulate the organization’s purposes, the ideals motivating its activities and its guiding principles in the realm of social engagement as a global organization that aims to promote peace and culture.
We, the Soka Gakkai organizations and members throughout the world, share the aim and mission of promoting peace, culture and education based on the Buddhist teaching of respect for the dignity of life.
In the face of multiple, interlocking crises, it is clear that humanity’s survival and flourishing must be a shared, cooperative undertaking founded in an awareness of our intimate connections with all forms of life. Everyone’s contribution is needed, and no one must be left behind.
We believe that the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism offer a means for each of us to manifest within the realities of daily life the unlimited capacity for wisdom, courage and compassion we all possess. We therefore seek to foster individuals who are empowered to take on the daunting challenges we face and are committed to building a more just and sustainable world for future generations.
We, the respective organizations of the Soka Gakkai, raising high the banner of global citizenship, the spirit of active tolerance and respect for human dignity, and determined to confront the threats facing humankind based on an unwavering commitment to nonviolence and the culture of peace, hereby adopt this charter, affirming the following purposes and principles.
Purposes and Principles
- The Soka Gakkai will contribute to peace, culture and education based on the Buddhist teaching of respect for the dignity of all life.
- The Soka Gakkai will promote an understanding of Nichiren Buddhism through grassroots dialogue and exchange, thereby contributing to the realization of human happiness and well-being.
- The Soka Gakkai will respect and promote freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
- The Soka Gakkai will, based on the Buddhist spirit of tolerance, respect other religious and philosophical traditions, engaging in dialogue and working together with them toward the resolution of the fundamental challenges confronting humankind.
- The Soka Gakkai will respect local cultures and customs, and the autonomy of each organization. Each organization will develop its activities in accordance with the laws and conditions prevailing in that country or territory and will encourage its members to contribute to society as responsible citizens.
- The Soka Gakkai will work for peace and a world free from nuclear weapons and will promote just and sustainable development.
- The Soka Gakkai will safeguard and promote human rights. It will not discriminate against any individual and will oppose all forms of discrimination. It will contribute to the achievement of gender equality and promote the empowerment of women.
- The Soka Gakkai will respect cultural diversity and promote intercultural exchange, thereby contributing to mutual understanding and cooperation among the world’s peoples.
- The Soka Gakkai is committed to building a sustainable world for future generations, addressing the climate crisis, and protecting and caring for the ecosystems of Earth.
- The Soka Gakkai will promote education, learning and scholarship, to enable all people to cultivate their individual character and enjoy contributive, fulfilling and happy lives.